Tartan Footprint helps you connect and share with Scottish people in your life.

Finding my ancestors

Viewing Single Post

Hi Denise, if you are like me and are from a region in the USA that had a large concentration of Scottish immigrants then you may just want to determine which clan you have the closest or most recent ties to.  In my family I am a driect descendent of Scottish immigrants named Pollock  so that part is easy for me (how I got the last name of Hardin is an interesting story). However I also have Bruce, Stuart, Murray and Dunbar in my family tree so I do feel a conction with those clans also.  To help you out with your geneology you should do a google search for your surname genealogy forum. You can find a lot of information and help from the people on there. You can also get your father or a brother to take a DNA test (it needs to be a male) and join a family surname DNA project at FamilytreeDNA. Good luck in your search!

Hello all I am new to Geneology and have been working on my family tree in order to find out my clan/s? So far I have found Scottish family arriving in America from  1700-1800 when  working on my Geneology do I use them to find my clan or go further down the line? I am having a hard time with this still being real a lot of family is from the Isles so this is interesting and a bit stressful.